In these difficult times, where we need to band together to fight COVID-19, it is sad to see people exploiting this crisis for monetary gain.
In light of the increase in Coronavirus (COVID-19) scams we have set up this page to help keep people informed about how they can stay safe online.
Firstly, please don’t be consumed by rumour and gossip and ensure your COVID-19 news is obtained from reputable news outlets to dispel any myths which are circulating on social media. A valuable source of legitimate information can also be found on the World Health Organisation (WHO) website here.
We at the Yorkshire and Humber Organised Crime unit want to keep as many people safe digitally, as well as physically, during these difficult times.
Cyber criminals are exploiting COVID-19 with clickbait, fake news and malware aimed at tricking concerned victims into downloading malicious files onto their machines.
Our key mitigation advice remains the same as always:
- Ensure your devices are running the most recent software (both your operating system and applications).
- Make sure your passwords are complex and unique (use the NCSC guidelines on 3 random words to keep your accounts safe).
- Consider activating 2 factor authentication/multifactor authentication to add an extra layer of security to your devices and accounts.
- Be wary of emails and text messages containing links and attachments. Try and avoid clicking on any links in digital correspondence unless you can confirm the authenticity of the sender.
- Avoid using free WiFi hotspots without using a VPN to ensure your device’s traffic is encrypted and harder for a criminal to intercept and read.
At the bottom of this page are a selection of downloadable advice sheets to help you stay safe online.
We strive to update this page with the latest news about COVID-19 scams. If you have been affected by something you consider to be criminal please ensure you report it to https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ or call your local police force on 101.
Below is a series of pages built to keep you upto date on the latest threats and mitigation advice.
Click here for more COVID-19 infographics and advice downloads
Click here for more information on COVID-19 Exploits and Vulnerabilities page.
Click here for more information on COVID-19 UK Government Advice page
Click here for more information on COVID-19 Phishing Examples.
Click here for more information on COVID-19 Smishing Examples.
Click here for more information on COVID-19 Domain Threat List.
Click here for more information on COVID-19 Fraud Mitigation Advice